The Poison of Love – K. R. Meera | Book Review

The Poison of Love K. R. Meera | Book Review

This is going to be my first book review ever on the internet. I hope I do justice to what I am going to write about the book I read recently.

I’d read about this book on the penguin india page and I thought of buying it. I’ll be very honest here, I wanted to read the book to learn a lesson from it. I was thinking, I’ll be able to find answers to my questions. When I read through the book, all I could find out was that it’s all about grieving, being unwanted, and at some point of time, not being loved the way the character Tulsi should have been. Like it was described in some paragraphs, when the marriage was new, how Madhav not just lusted for her, but made her believe in true love and in forgetting each and every good thing Tulsi’s parents did for her, she left them for the guy, who had openly confessed to her that he has dated twenty seven women in his life, and how he would be with them only to make them feel loved. The reason that he gave for having twenty seven different women in his life, is kind of compared to Krishna, which I didn’t like.

No doubt K.R. Meera has penned down her thoughts in a beautiful way, but it kind of disappointed and depressed me. It’s not that we have not seen that kind of stories in our lives at one point of time or the other, or seen it in movies at least. The book kind of made me feel like, when you choose the love of your life over your parents all you are going to go through is suffering. And, that there’s Tulsi present in every nook and corner of the world. She is there within me, she is there within you. I am trying to come out of the regrets and trying to forgive the people who have hurt me all through my life. Reading this book only brought back the suppressed emotions within me. Hence, I didn’t quite like it. 

Comments