Wonder – R.J. Palacio | Book Review by The Pensive Writer

Wonder by R J Palacio Book Review by The Pensive Writer


I loved reading, but it is only recently that I discovered how much I love reading. Earlier, I used to buy books but was as slow in reading as the turtle in the famous story from our childhood, or I can even compare my reading to a snail. Yes, I was that slow a reader. Probably, because I was too occupied into doing all the nonsensical things any growing up kid would do. The only difference being, that I kept doing them even after being a fully grown-up girl.

I cannot forget to mention 'Raj' in here, as he is the one, who got me into reading on a regular basis. He would share, what books he is reading with me, and had recommended that I should start reading. As obvious as it should be, having a huge crush on him, I'd even die if he'd ask me to. Okay, over exaggerated! But, everything that he recommended, only meant understanding him in a better way for me. So, when he said I must start reading, I didn't take it as seriously as I should, but when I got plenty of time, doing nothing, his words pondered in my mind and I gave reading a chance. That's how I came to understand my reading potentials and my love for reading. Being jobless and his recommendation, only helped me discover the undiscovered inactive part of my brain. Not that I didn't touch books before that, but it would be one book a year. Strange, how someone you have a crush on, can help you discover things you love doing. If that helps, I think I'll start developing a crush on everyone :P 

Anyway, Raj being the prime reason and now that I had discovered my love for reading, I decided to get back to reading in full swing and started surfing the net, ‘Goodreads’ to be precise and started following influential readers on Instagram. These influential readers are probably the ones who write reviews for every new book that gets published and through these two sources, I came across this book called ‘Wonder’.

I know the book was published in 2012, and I am late by 5 years to write a review. So late that I discovered, only recently, that there’s a movie coming up based on the book in November of this year. Here's the trailer to the movie Wonder Movie (2017) starring Julia Roberts & Owen Wilson - 


Coming back to the book, first, I’ll start with why I decided to pick up the book. I mentioned that I happened to stumble upon it on Goodreads, after having gone through a page of one such Instagrammer, I wish I remembered the name and could provide a link to their profile here, but back then, I had no idea, that I would be sitting and writing a review about this book. So, in my previous post, I had mentioned about Tinder an online dating app, where I happened to right swipe on one of the guys profile, who was born with small white cloud/cataract covering the pupil in that eye and couldn’t see from that eye, meaning partially blind. When, I saw the cover of this book, I just couldn’t stop thinking of the guy then. Hence, I wanted to read it. I know there’s a saying, never judge a book by its cover, I didn’t, I just had to pick it up, because it reminded me of the guy, I spoke for about two weeks.

Apart from that, I also have a friend, who was born with a cleft lip. So, another reason, to buy this book and read it. About this friend, I could only think while I started reading the book. Somewhere, in between reading, I also messaged him, that the book ‘Wonder’ that I am reading, reminds me of you. Coincidentally, the day I messaged him happened to be on his birthday. So, ‘Wonder’ became even more special.

I liked, how everyone related to August (Auggie) Pullman, had a chapter, wherein, they described their perspective about how they felt about Auggie Pullman. The chapters include perspectives of August Pullman’s sister, Via (Olivia) Pullman, Jack Will his friend, Summer his friend, Miranda (Via Pullman’s friend), who considered him as no less than her own brother and Justin (Via’s boyfriend). My book also came in with a featured chapter of Julian’s story, Julian’s chapter. Yayyyyyy! 

When each person describes their perspective, is when I started falling in love with Auggie Pullman even more. Because these people love him no matter how he looks. So basically, they teach us to love each and every one even if they are not born as pretty as the hero/heroine, that we grow up watching or as pretty/handsome as we think we are.

I also loved the way the Pullman, a family of four, love each other unconditionally and forgive each other for their mistakes. Even though Via feels that she gets ignored due to an extra protection that Auggie gets due to his defect, she comes over it and accepts it.

The book sheds a light on how a 10-year-old kid with 'craniofacial syndrome', faces the kids his age, who don't want to be his friend, nor wished to sit with him during recess when he starts going to school for the first time from 5th grade. Before that, he was only homeschooled by his mother, who thought she cannot give him enough knowledge if he continues with homeschooling. Going to school for the first time and how he deals with the ups and downs and by befriending everyone who didn't want to be friends with him when had joined the school is what the book is about. He even gets a special award at the end for his bravery. His bravery being that he didn't give up and continued schooling, not letting anyone know how he was being troubled by few kids and how he knew he is not ordinary. 

The book, throughout talks about one word ‘kindness’. Choose to be kind, whenever you can. The lesson, I am taking from the book, besides loving everyone unconditionally and by not judging anyone, forgive everyone, no matter how bad they behaved with you once and every story has two sides. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you are not aware of. Even in the summary, by R. J. Palacio, she doesn’t stop talking about how kind people who helped in publishing the book were toward her.

With kindness in our hearts, we can change a lot of things. So, whenever you have the choice between choosing the right or choosing kindness, choose kindness. A prefect by a professor who
teaches ‘English’ language in the book.

A must read book for everyone, no matter what age group you belong to. Because, the book definitely has lessons that you can keep with you for rest of your life. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.in/Wonder-R-J-Palacio/dp/0552565970

Signing off. But always remember to

‘Be kind’

Comments